Use the Celebration Rock located in the front of Thorson Elementary to make a student’s birthday extra special! For $10, you can paint a Happy Birthday message/artwork to be displayed for a 24-hour period.
How to Reserve Your Spot:
- Step 1. Follow this link to view the reservation calendar and make sure the date you want for the Celebration Rock is available. Dates between the first day of school and the last day of school will be available for reservations.
- Step 2. Once you've decided on a date, complete this Google form to reserve your spot.
- Step 3. Follow the PayPal link provided once you’ve submitted the Google form to complete the process by paying $10 (here is the PayPal link if you need it again). For accounting purposes, it is our preference that you use the PayPal method of payment. However, if paying cash, the money MUST be accompanied by a note with your name, date, and "celebration rock" written on it. Money should be turned into the school office.
- Step 4. Get ready to celebrate! You can find the bucket with supplies in the office at dismissal time the day before your sign-up day. Please note school doors lock at 4:00 pm so you must pick up the supplies before then.
- Paint and supplies are available in the lobby. There is a limited supply of paint in the stores, so please be flexible and try to work with what we have in the bucket. If your project really needs a specific color, you may contact Jamie to see if the color is available.
- Paint and brushes may be picked up after school on the day preceding your reserved date (e.g. you have reserved 9/4, pick up on 9/3). School doors lock at 4:00 pm so please get the bucket before then!
- You may paint the rock beginning at 4 pm on the day preceding your reserved date. (e.g. you have reserved 9/4 for your message, you may paint the rock on 9/3 beginning at 4 pm). It is recommended to bring plates (to put your paint on), wipes/towels (for easy cleanup), and a trash bag. Please remove and take with you any paints/cans that are empty. If you use the last of anything, please let Jamie know at the contact info below.
- Existing message is “removed” by priming with spray paint. There is no need to wash rock – spray over the existing message with the black spray paint and it will dry quickly. Only ADULTS are permitted to spray paint the rock. The overall base color of the rock is to always be the black spray paint.
- Return paint and CLEANED supplies when you finish your rock. Please drop the bucket off with the clean supplies anytime before school dismissal the day after you paint your message (on the actual date of your reserved spot) so it’s ready for pickup by the next family that afternoon at school dismissal. Thank you for your cooperation with this.
- The front of the rock closest to the driveway entrance to the school and the side of the rock facing Keup may be painted. PLEASE DO NOT PAINT THE BACK OF THE ROCK. The back of the rock is to remain the base color of black.
- Weekends and major holidays are not available for reservation.
- The message will stay in place until another Thorson family secures a 24-hour period.
- Parents must accompany students when creating their painted message.
- Messages may include only a birthday message, child's first name, and age (optional). No words, acronyms, images, or abbreviations that could be misconstrued as inappropriate should be painted as part of your celebration message. PTO reserves the right to remove any such messages that do not meet these standards.
- PTO reserves the right to paint the rock for special event or school-related functions, but paid rock spots are to be birthday messages only.